Consultant: Silvia Chejter, with a consulting team composed of Beatriz Ruffa and Paula Flores.
Data corresponds to the city of Buenos Aires, certain areas in the province of Buenos Aires, Córdoba, Chaco, Misiones, Neuquén and Santa Fe. The report focuses on violence against women and is based on information collected in a questionnaire pre-designed for this investigation, open-ended interviews with GO and NGO representatives, a workshop held for the purpose of information exchange, and document production and review.
Mistreatment, Sexual Abuse of Children and Incest
Prostitution and Trafficking of Women
The report also mentions other types of less quantified but equally revealing gender-based violence, such as institutional violence; violence by health agents, judicial agents and prison staff; and violence for reasons of sexual preference.
With respect to legal protection, Argentina has the following special juridical instruments for situations of gender-based violence:
- Ministry of the Interior. The Undersecretariat for Human and Social Rights launched the Women and Human Rights Program in 1998.
- Ministry of Health and Social Action. National Program on Violence, created by Decree 31-95 under the Promotion and Protection Department, a dependency of the undersecretariat for prevention programs. Implementation is pending.
- Ministry of Health and Social Action. Pilot Prevention and Assistance Program for Violence Against Women (1997). This program is being carried out in Maipu and Guaymallèn, province of Mendoza
- Ministry of Education. National Program to Promote Equal Opportunity for Women in the Area of Education.
Response from Civil Society
Response by the civil society is as historical and diverse as the services this sector offers the population. (See following section.)
Violence Within the Family
- Telephone line for information about violence against women. Ministry of the Interior, Undersecretariat for Human and Social Rights. In 1998, this undersecretariat launched the Women and Human Rights Program.
- City of Buenos Aires
- Municipality of Buenos Aires. Crisis phone line
- Network of government hospitals
- Public Ministry. Office attending victims of crime
- Province of Buenos Aires
- Family Violence Program. Provincial Council on Family and Human Development
- Municipal programs
- Province of Córdoba
- Assistance and Prevention of Family Violence, Secretariat for Human Promotion.
- Help Center for Crime Victims. Ministry of Institutional Affairs and Social Development
- Province of Chaco
- Solidarity Network Program. Secretary of Social Development
- Inter-Ministerial Commission on Human Rights, Human Rights Program
- Province of Neuquén
- Attention Center for Victims of Crime, Ministry of the Government.
- Department of Prevention of Family Violence. Undersecretariat for Social Action, Ministry of Social Welfare
- Province of Misiones
- Department of Family Violence, Ministry of Social Welfare for Women.
- Family Violence Program. Mental Health Service, Madariaga Hospital
- Province of Santa Fe
- Family Violence Team, Provincial Office for Minors and the Family
- Gender and Development Program, Secretary of Social Promotion.
- Office of Comprehensive Assistance for Victims, Public Ministry.
- Attention Service for Victims of Sexual Assault, Federal Police
Violence within the family
Different types of public services are offered by the following NGOs, as well as others not mentioned here:
- Prevention and Assistance Program for Battered Women
- Argentinean Association for the Prevention of Family Violence
- Argentinean Association for Comprehensive Development of the Family
- Fundación Propuesta
- Support Center for Mistreated Women
- Grupo Ser Mujer
- Casa de la Mujer Azucena Villaflor
- Network of Institutional Resources for Attention of Sexually Assaulted Women
Women in Prostitution
- Hermanas Adoratrices